In what has now become a series on this marvellous blog, we’re diving into how to make PulseAudio play nice with Spotify running under Wine. After yesterday’s article about getting any sound through PulseAudio at all, the next issue that surfaced was that the output from Spotify running under Wine were just garbled noise. This worked with the previous ALSA or OSS setup, but with PulseAudio everything went haywire!
Luckily the massive wisdom of teh intarwebs came to the rescue again, this time through an almost three year old post by Paul Betts: “Make Wine and PulseAudio Get Along“.
The solution is to first use
padsp winecfg to configure padsp for a specific process, then use padsp to redirect any access to /dev/dsp while the provided application runs.
Then add padsp to your spotify startup script (or if you do this manually, just .. remember to type it. OK?):
padsp wine "C:\program files\spotify\spotify.exe"
Restart Spotify and enjoy the massive collection of great music!
After getting the missing sound control panel in Ubuntu back yesterday, the next problem that turned up was that no actual applications would play any sound – other than the annoying beep! beep! beep!
The reason is that after the pulseaudio configuration has been installed, pulseaudio it self may be missing all it device drivers and other packages.
The solution for this issue can be found at the page for PulseAudio at the Ubuntu Wiki.
Install the missing PulseAudio packages through APT:
sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins "pulseaudio-*" paman padevchooser paprefs pavucontrol pavumeter
Restart the application that needs sound support and everything should work. If you’re still not getting any sound, check the PulseAudio device configuration (by default installed under Applications, Sound and Video, PulseAudio Device Chooser) and that your device shows up there (mine didn’t before installing the above packages).
After upgrading from Ubuntu 9.0 to 9.10 the other day, I suddenly got a very annoying beep every time I saved a file in NetBeans. Horrible stuff! Disabling it in NetBeans seems impossible (and Firefox makes the same sound when it encounters an error), so removing it in the Ubuntu Sound Configuration Panel sounded (!) like the best option.
One problem: The Sound Control Panel (when selecting System -> Preferences -> Sound) didn’t open. It attempts to load, but then disappears without a trace. I couldn’t find a notice in any of the logfiles either, so my only hope of a remedy was the global debugging power of teh intarwebs.
This was actually harder than I imagined, as I had to wade through large amounts of documentation of how to open the control panel at all. I had found the menu item, but it didn’t work.
Luckily someone had documented several issues at a page named “Sound Solutions for Ubuntu 9.04“, and while I didn’t have the exact problems listed there, they mentioned the required packages for pulseaudio and the GUIs.
Installing the padevchooser package should pull in all the dependencies:
root@ubuntu:~# apt-get install padevchooser
(Use sudo apt-get install padevchooser if you’re not root)
At the same split second the installer finished, the sound configuration dialog opened and I were able to switch to the NO SOUND scheme in Ubuntu. No beeps!
I’ve had a weird issue a couple of times on my work computer, where the keyboard and the mouse does not respond in Xorg after rebooting. As I only reboot my work computer every 80 days or so, I tend to forget the reason why it happens between each boot sequence.
The reason why the mouse and keyboard does not work after rebooting at my computer is that HAL or DBUS failed to start. I’ve not dug further into this issue, as it doesn’t happen very often. The solution:
(you can switch to a text console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1, your keyboard will work there)
Restart X / GDM:
Switch back to the Xorg terminal (alt+f7) and hopefully your keyboard and mouse will yet again work!
If your mouse pointer is stuck in the lower right corner after upgrading to the current alpha version of Ubuntu, Intrepid, the reason is that the vmmouse driver got borked somewhere between Hardy and the current version of Intrepid. This means that you’ll only see “Moving to desktop 2” (or whatever desktop you have in the lower right corner). The fix is to change the reference to ‘vmmouse‘ in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to ‘mouse‘. This is not as good (you’ll not be able to move your mouse pointer from your host to your vmware machine seamless any longer), but at least it works.
You can track the current progress over at trackpad: Ubuntu Bug #248521.